If you’ve been told that one or more of your teeth has to come out then you are not alone. The American Dental Association reports that the average adult American aged between 20 and 64 years has three or more decayed or missing teeth. You may be surprised though that losing a tooth is more than just a cosmetic problem. Depending on the location and the amount of teeth missing could mean that you will have to miss out on some of your favorite foods. But that’s not all. Read more to see what other problems can result from missing teeth.
Problems With Missing Teeth
There may be many reasons why you’re missing a tooth. It could be through trauma, tooth decay, gum disease or poor nutrition. Losing a tooth can affect you both physically and psychologically. They include:
- Discomfort Eating – when we eat we use our teeth to tear and chew. With missing teeth the food can pass inside the gap and hit our gums. This makes for uncomfortable eating. We may then avoid certain foods that are essential for balanced nutrition.
- Bite Misalignment – Missing teeth creates space along the jawline allowing the other teeth to move. They may move closer together or further apart. This can cause problems with the natural alignment in your jaw making it painful to bring your teeth together when you bite. If your teeth move closer together it could also become more difficult to floss. This in turn could lead to gum disease and further tooth loss.
- Changes in Speech – It’s surprising just how much we use our teeth to pronounce sounds when we are speaking. Missing teeth then are obviously going to affect the way we speak.
- Reduction in Bone Density – The force exerted through your teeth provides a stimulus that helps strengthen your jaw bone. If you lose one or more teeth, the surrounding area on your jaw can become weak
- Looking Older – Teeth form part of the structure that supports the surrounding facial tissue. Missing teeth therefore reduce that structure and your skin can start to sag giving a more aged look.
- Anxiety and Depression – Studies have shown there is a link between losing teeth and your mental health.
- Lower Self Esteem – One study showed that nearly a quarter of people with missing teeth are too embarrassed to smile.
- Lower Success in Job Interviews – The same study showed that over 25% felt that they missed out on job opportunities because of their missing teeth
How To Fix Your Missing Teeth Problems
At Novato Oral Surgery, the expert surgeons recommend dental implants as the number one choice to replace your teeth. You can replace just one tooth or all of them if you need to. Dental implants have many advantages over other tooth replacement options. As they mimic natural teeth you’re going to continue enjoying the same benefits as having all your natural teeth.
Book an appointment now at Novato Oral Surgery to see if dental implants are right for you. Located conveniently in Novato, California, Novato Oral Surgery serves all of Marin County and the surrounding San Francisco Bay area.